Monday 16 May 2011

Vietnamese Stories Part 3 Art & Design

Being in a foreign country, I definitely want to check out its local design scene. Unfortunately, it is close to none. I mean…they are a few graphic design shops with printing services I’ve come across, some street clothing store with those funky sneakers, and plenty of art galleries. Perhaps there were more in HCMC with it being the largest city. Hanoi however was close to none. The furniture stores were mainly selling tradition Chinese carvings, and there was only one store I passed by in the taxi that sells modern furniture. Some furniture in the Re-unification palace had a mix of influence of both Chinese and French.

I tried asking the tour agent but to no avail. Later on while using Google map, I found a Hanoi University of Art located quite far away from my hotel, but I was determined to check it out. My memorable motorbike experience in Bangkok kept me away from taking the motorbike taxi, so I decided to go on foot.

It was long walk and I had to ask many for directions. Surprisingly, I found a small little shop house with a large poster saying “Graphic, Fashion and Shoes Design”. I was exhilarated and I entered immediately. The entire place was covered in red paint with pictures of photography, graphic art and a picture of Philippe Starck hung on the wall. I wonder why Philippe Starck…Hmm…

What came after this wasn’t as exciting. I spoke to the manager, the only one who speaks English, with a prominent scar on his face.

“The design in Hanoi is small. Mostly you can see is just the Chinese and French influence with the architecture. *Blar blar blar* The course here is 6 months and it cost 1,200USD. After which we will give them a certification. They student can also choose to go for advance certification.”

I was very disappointed with the manager’s un-welcoming attitude, even when I provided my namecard and revealed that I’m a product designer, pointing to the picture of Philippe Starck who is also a product designer. I asked if I could see the students work exhibited in the school but seems as though they have none to exhibit, not even in their brochure. I was denied to visit the studio upstairs but was shown an introductory video of the ‘school’ through a laptop. Absolutely disappointing.

The scarred face manager, however, gave me the exact address of the University of Arts. When I got there, I bashed into one of the art studio (Not literately) like an un-invited guest. It turns out that the hours of walking and searching was worthwhile after all.

“We are second year students here. We have to study here for 5 years before we graduate and each semester cost 100USD.” (That makes 1,000USD for the entire 5 years)

“Our parents are supportive of us doing arts, even though it is not easy earning money in arts. My father is also an artist, so he is supportive. I’m also doing some graphic design so that after I graduate, I will have more options.”

I can do nothing more than to encourage them to continue their aspiration. I also advised them to upload their works online inorder to spread them worldwide, and with it being free there is nothing to lose. It is inspiring for me to see students pursuing their dreams in arts even in a society such as Vietnam.

End of the day, after chatting with the students for awhile I felt an unknown sense of relief. Maybe because I felt that my decision to give up my Halong Bay trip due to time shortage was a right choice. I am now tired of typing and gathering my thoughts. So I am going to end this abruptly.




Share

No comments: