Monday 16 May 2011

Vietnamese Stories Part 2

In part 1 of Vietnamese Stories, I mentioned about Dan whose father owns the hotel I was staying in Ho Chi Min City with a small restaurant and a “middle-person” tour agency fitted into their lobby. Dan represents the youth which he described as “Parents work hard and given everything to their children”. He graduated from local university with a degree in Economics. The biggest difference between him and our youth in his country is that he is given the opportunity to dream and aspire, unlike a lot others.

“I learn my English by talking to the tourist here. When I came out of University I can’t speak English at all. Only can write…….Now I’m helping my father to run this hotel. If you graduate from university, you can get a 8hrs job. If not, you have to work 12hrs or even more, 24hrs.”

“I think that guest who stays in our hotel, we have to make them happy. If they are not happy, then they will not come back next time.”

I was curious as to what else he aspires to be except to managing the hotel, so I asked what he thought of doing outside of this hotel.

“Oh, I can do many things. Like tour agency, go other hotels and help people make motor bike license….”

Wait What?!? I had to stop him right there to confirm what I just heard.

Me: “So you’re saying that for someone like me who can’t ride a motor bike in my own country, I can pay you money and you will make me license in your country?”

“Yes. If you pay me 200USD, I will make you a motor bike license.”

Baring in mind the kind of traffic in Vietnam, I wouldn’t want to ride a motor bike even if I have the license to. That explains the many motorists who seem too young to be on the roads with their gerlfriends. I believe they either get a cheaper local rate or they don’t even have license to start with. But I have to salute their driving skills to avoid people walking dogs, motorist going against the traffic and other reckless drivers. Yes, there are even more reckless drivers among all these reckless drivers.

Another youth I spoke to is of a different background. His name is Tguyen (If I’m not wrong), a 21 year old trainee in a social enterprise that provides vocational hands-on training to give youth like Tguyen a useful skill that would lift them out of poverty. This place is called KOTO (Know One, Teach One) and it is basically a restaurant located in Hanoi.

“I’m not from Hanoi. I am from ***** (I’m not familiar with this location). You know *****? I come here to learn new things and I will be working in **** Hotel when I graduate.”

I don’t understand half of what he was saying. He probably only started learning English in KOTO which is a 2 year program. Later I asked about his stay in KOTO, whether he paid to be in this program and about his family living outside Hanoi.

“I really enjoy living here. We are like brothers and sisters. The training here is free and we are living in a hostel near by. My family is poor and my father is a farmer. I come here to learn more so I can do more in the future and give more to my family.”

As I said earlier, I was having a hard time understanding his English. If I’m not wrong, the trainees work for 8hrs a day, so at least we know that they are not exploited.

“You….can understand what I say? I am sorry. My English is not good.”

After chatting with Tguyen and another female trainee, Tam, for quite awhile, I find these youth are highly enthusiastic and very eager to learn. I also felt that they are genuinely happy in KOTO. Like what Tguyen said earlier, they are like brothers and sisters. Even though the price is slightly higher than other restaurants, the trainees there gave me the best service during my stay in Vietnam, the food was delicious, and their generous smiles were free of charge. Speaking of which, Tguyen mentioned that he will contact my email so I could send him the photo I took of him and Tam, but he hasn’t. Maybe he had lost my namecard. Hmm…

During my stay, I see many youth trying to make a living in the streets by shoe polishing, selling books or other accessories. One of them I noticed had teeth in very bad condition even at his age. Once I saw a boy looking as young as 8 year old, carrying a stack of novels and guide book approaching tourists. What I don’t understand is why are these people selling the same stuff as though they carry them out of the same factory, as though there is a black hand controlling all these.

To be continued.





Share

No comments: