Sunday 8 April 2007

Motivating Changes

Received my transcript from Temasek I requested last week, which cost me $10. Further proves the fact that I am an average student, looking at the grades. B,C,B,C and occasional Ds, even F for model making. But to my surprise, I got an A for one subject and that is Cultural Anthropology. I have to recall very hard on what the hell I did to get an A for that and then I finally remembered I did an observation on how people can motivate changes.

My observation is done on basic daily activities, on the things people do for their convenience which inturn motivates how differently things can be done.


For example, the pavement around the neighborhood, you will find certain constructed pavements that guide which way people should be walking or pre-thought on which way people will be walking. The pavement leads to the road and there is a traffic light 30 meters to the left. Across the traffic light is a shopping mall which people often visit. So instead of walking by the proper pavement and then making a left turn to the traffic light, some people will cut across the grass patch diagonally to shorten the distant. Day after day, an obvious path will be seen on the grass and more people start to take that shorter path instead of the constructed pavement. Then after some time, you will see proper pavement is laid on the dried grass patch. Same to certain fields you see next to bus interchange, Pasir Ris is one of them.


If you put serious casual thoughts about it, you may notice such changes and how it could be due to previous actions done. The stairs, lifts, corridor, seats at void decks and etc. By observing the changes in the surrounding and studying the behavior of people interacting with the surrounding, you may even deduce what you will be expecting before it even happens. Or maybe you could intentionally motivate such changes by indirectly motivating the common users to follow your actions. This will generate more users to drive this change permanent. Now wouldn’t that be fun?

No comments: