Friday 20 April 2007

I GOT FIRED...FINALLY

Finally…yes finally. It has all come to an end, the day I end my service to the government. End of it all and all I feel is a little gladness and tiredness. To think that last year I actually plotted to sabotage my CO’s office with a dead rat while leaving my name there, just so that he would FIRE me. But of course I didn’t, I wouldn’t get fired, I’ll just be AWARDED with more opportunity to bring extra service to my country. I’m not so stupid.


It is definitely a good feeling, leaving the island with all my bags. Passing by people and it will immediately strike to them, “ This is a good man. Leave and don’t ever look back.”


I still remember this year’s Chinese New Year, where I had my futile effort to collect more red packets for extra allowance. I actually brought mandarin oranges to camp for my chief clerk, which then she took out her son’s donation card and I donated $5. She later, out of guilt, gave me a red packet with $4 inside. Very scheming woman. This is just one of the many funny moments I was recalling while on my way home. I was trying to hide my smile so that other commuters will not think I’m a lunatic smiling to myself.


Had numerous handshakes, farewells and answering to the question “Hey when you ord ?”

“Today today”

“Wah. All the best man.”

…I did this at least 10 times today.

Usually for ORD personnel, they would be bringing in food, drinks or treating others to lunch. I however, did not. Mainly because I wanted to save money and secondly I find it unnecessary. I thought of this act as an act to repent guilt or an act to make people remember you. Firstly, I do not feel guilty at all, I had done my best for my job and secondly, for those who would remember me as a true friend, WILL remember me. When leaving the place, I already knew who are the potential ones who will still call me out for a movie and who are the ones I will only meet on a very coincidental-one-fine-day, but of course I would keep these names to myself.


This is definitely a rewarding experience for me. Making new friends and finally understanding the importance of sincerity while socializing. A formula I told my understudy, Joel, whenever he faces a problem, is to know the subject and know who to look for. Even for the Head Manpower officer who I very seldom or close to zero socializing with, told me something meaningful today. He assured my decision to study and to continue living like a brat, is a correct decision. No of course he didn’t agree with the living like a brat, but to me these two come together.


Regarding my reservice, i already had a rough idea at a very early part of my service. It was that day i saw this old, no i shouldn't say he's old but more like very matured, man at the headquarter. He was slogging on the office chair while reading newspaper and he could practically use his belly as a coffee table for his convenience. It was that day that i know..."This is my future. This will be me." It was that day that i know i will have a self-rewarding reservice time, reflecting on my life, reading up on current affairs and deciding on whether i should be switching inbetween chaw kuay teow and laksa for lunch on alternate days. Yes.


End of the day I just want to say that it feels good, to hell with that island and lastly, that my mother will be shocked to see the amount of clothes I brought back home to increase her productivity. I know she will go like this…


“ Wah! WO DE MA AH~~ ” translation: “ Wah! Ma Ma Mi Ah~~ “

No comments: